I know we're having record lows all over the state, but is it really necessary for me to have to wear a scarf inside my apartment? It's cold! My gas wall heater broke some time between April and October, so the gas company gave me a red flag (back in Oct/Nov). When I reported this to my landlord he said that they'd rather not fix it and he gave me 2 space heaters to use for the duration of my lease.
I found out at Christmas that it's illegal for the landlord to refuse to fix it. According to California Health & Satety Code, an apartment is legally uninhabitable if the gas and heating facilities are not properly working. I wrote a letter to the landlord and mailed it earlier this week. He should have had it by yesterday, but of course I haven't heard from him regarding that or the email I sent on Tuesday.
The space heaters are OK. They do the job (to some degree), but I'm sure my electricity bill is going to be much higher than expected. For some odd reason I get billed by the LA Department of Water & Power (DWP) every two months. My last payment was Nov. 30, so I'm expecting a bill any day now... Today the space heaters are not doing that great of a job fighting off the cold. I'm wearing my sweats, socks, slippers, and a scarf and my hands are cold. Can't exactly wear gloves while using the computer and turning the pages of my CPA book. Let's hope my landlord takes action soon!
J
No comments:
Post a Comment