As an auditor I examine and "test" the account balances and transactions of companies to attest to the accuracy of their financial statements. But because I'm only in my second year as an auditor and I don't have my CPA license yet, I get to do all the low level work. This includes performing inventory observations for our clients that maintain inventory balances on their balance sheets at year end. The purpose of me observing and testing the client's inventory count is to verify that they perform the count in accordance with their established policies and procedures and that their inventory is properly reported in their financial statements. Since we just had year end, I've been pretty busy in the inventory department. Below is a recap of all the things I've had the pleasure of counting in the past two weeks...
1. I went to a dealership of special access vehicles to count mini-vans and commercial vans with modifications for disabled persons.
2. I went to a warehouse in Compton to spend time in a warehouse-sized -14 degree freezer to count 11,900 boxes of frozen beef strips. I will forever compare all cold weather to my experience in a -14 degree freezer! That was definitely the coldest I have EVER been. Immediately upon entering the freezer, my nose hairs froze, which is quite possibly the most bizarre sensation I've ever felt.
3. On New Year's Eve I went to the mall to count cell phones and accessories at a T-Mobile kiosk.
4. I got to drive to Camarillo to count a warehouse full of heating and air conditioning units.
5. My co-worker and I drove down to Orange County to observe the making of razor blades and count two warehouses full of box cutters, letter openers, staple removers, etc. I had no idea there was such a huge market for box cutters, but grocery stores all over the country do need to arm their staff with them. Did you know that they make right-handed and left-handed box cutters?
6. And last, but not least I traveled all the way to Spokane, WA this past Thursday in order to be at a printing warehouse at 7am on Friday to count rolls of paper and tanks of ink. It's amazing how many different kinds of paper there are, and in huge rolls they all look the same. It was in the high 20s and snowing in Spokane, but that's nothing compared to a -14 degree freezer!
Six inventory observations in one season is pretty huge. I performed more than anyone else in my office. I'm a pro now. Give me a holler if you ever need anything counted.
No comments:
Post a Comment