I was sick on Tuesday and stayed home from work, so I went to talk to the property manager when she was in. She said that she had gotten my email and responded to me, but I never received a response from me. I told her that my porch light was disassembled and she said that they were planning to put in a motion sensor, and was irritated that the maintenance guy had taken the light apart and not put it back together. On Wednesday when I cam home from work I found my new porch light assembly - a set of two flood lights and a motion sensor. But the damn thing didn't even stay lit long enough for me to unlock my front door, so I had to stop and wave my arms in front of it. I was sick and stayed home from work again today, and I didn't have the energy to talk to the property manager about it. Yes, I was, and I guess I still am, pretty livid about it. First of all it makes no sense for the lady to care about whether the light is on or not. My apartment is in a corner and the porch light could not possibly bother anyone as the only windows in the vicinity are my kitchen window and my next-door neighbor's kitchen window. I'm glad they did something about my request, but I would have preferred a timer over a lame, and UGLY set of flood lights. If I can remember to do so, I'll call tomorrow about the fact that the light doesn't even stay on long enough for me to unlock the front door.
And to answer your questions, Salome - it's a relatively small apartment complex - probably 30 units. I think it's just an independently owned complex because there doesn't seem to be a management company, just this lady who is the apartment manager.
After I found the complex and applied, I went home and looked it up on some apartment ratings website. There were a few complaints about the apartment manager being a bitch, etc. And then it appeared that the apartment manager lady, E, had responded saying things like, "We evict noisy, unruly tenants. If you broke the rules of your lease, then yes, you would be evicted." My friend expressed concern to me, and I waved it off saying that as long as I'm a good tenant, I shouldn't have any problems. And I reasoned that it's usually the upset, complain-y people who go on these websites, ya know? How many relatively happy tenants are going to go online and rate their "ok" or acceptable property manager? BUT, here I am being a good tenant, and my property manager is making me feel like I'm NOT being a good tenant or that I'm a nuisance to her.
I'm a pretty damn good tenant if I may say so myself. I even became friends with the lady who worked for my previous property manager in LA. She and the manager thought I was such a great tenant that they refunded my ENTIRE security deposit PLUS interest. That is just unheard of! She told me that they would charge me a $60 cleaning fee and I wouldn't have to clean when I moved out. I thought that was a pretty good deal, so I just did a little minor vacuuming and got out of there. The following week she called and said that it looked so good that they weren't even going to charge me the $60 cleaning fee.
Back to the current apartment... The one "major" thing E mentioned when I signed my lease was that tenants are not allowed to keep anything on their porches or patios other than plants or patio furniture. She told a little story where she'd come across a tenant who was storing her broom on her patio. E said, "I told her, '29 other tenants have found a place inside their apartments to keep their brooms; I think you can too.'" I thought it was a little anal, but don't really mind because that just means I'll be leaving in a relatively clean, nice looking apartment complex where my neighbors won't be keeping all their random shit where I can see it on a daily basis. That makes for a nice, aesthetically pleasing complex, and it actually is.
One more thing... on Tuesday when I was home in bed with a cold, E called my cell phone and left a message, "Hi Jennifer... I mean... Julie... I hope you can move your car because there is oil in your carport and we're going to pressure wash it in a few minutes. Well, if you can't move your car, it's going to be dirty." UM, excuse me? I get, what, 15 minutes notice? What if I was out of town? Tough luck? The apartment manager of the place I lived in LA always gave us at least a week's notice of things like that. I can understand that E was acting urgent about it because the complex was being inspected by the Housing Authority on Wednesday, but come on! Plan ahead! AND my parking spot didn't even get cleaned. I got out of bed and moved it for no reason.
J
3 comments:
I just don't see the point of any of this, unless she just wants to be a controlling bitch. Just sayin. I hope you are feeling better, though?
Wow. She sounds awful. (sorry it took me so long to read this! I uh, had a baby and all.) I would do everything possible to befriend this lady. Even sucking up to her. I think that is the only way to win with her. She is a really bad property manager, by the way. Not that I needed to tell you that. :) I would have rented there, too, knowing what you know, for exactly the same reasons you did. :)
this blog is too long to read. please condense and revise accordingly. thank you.
Post a Comment