I thought I'd share a delicious recipe that a friend shared with me two Thanksgivings ago...
Sweet Potato Casserole
Approx 48 oz. canned yams -- do not drain
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
3T margarine, melted
Lightly grease 2" deep 9x13 pan. Mash the yams with their juice. Add other ingredients, beating well. Bake uncovered at 400° for 45 minutes, or until it looks set in the center. Sprinkle with topping, reduce heat to 350°, and bake 15-20 minutes more, watching carefully to avoid burning.
Topping
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1T. flour
1/4 cup coconut
3 T. margarine, melted
Mix all ingredients together, and place on top of casserole.
Things my friend learned over the years:
"If I use my Pyrex, it's too shallow and the 9x13 isn't big enough, I have to use the bigger one.
I usually mix the yams one or two days ahead, and put it in the refrigerator unbaked. Same thing for the topping. The day of serving, just put it in the oven and cook a little longer since it's cold.
When I used less than the 48 oz., it was too sweet (I think I tried it with just 40 oz.)"
Enjoy!!
and Happy Thanksgiving!
I am thankful for all my friends - in real life and in the blogosphere!
Peace and love.
J
No comments:
Post a Comment