I'm pretty darn sure that women's clothing sizes have been shrinking. I know this for a fact because I have evidence of it in my closet. I have a suit jacket in my closet that I bought in 2001 when I interviewed for my first "corporate" job. The tag says that it's size 10, and it still fit last year. I have since gained a little weight (which is going away thanks to Weight Watchers), and it is too tight to button. It doesn't look horrible... I can still put it on; I just can't button it, but as it's from 2001, it's a little out of style, so I went in search of something more stylish and something that fits better. I found a suit jacket at JC Penney that I purchased. It's size 18. Are you kidding me?! According to my experience and the two jackets in my closet, today's size 18 is the approximate equivalent of a 2001 size 12.
I find this really, really bizarre considering that every other day there are stories on the news of the obesity epidemic. So people are getting bigger, but everything else is shrinking... clothes, airplane seats, (and I had other things in mind, but now I'm having a brain freeze). I just went to Lane Bryant to purchase some slacks there. I wear a 14, which is the smallest size they carry. They have since changed their sizing, so I wear a size 1 there! So in my closet I have a size 18 jacket and size 1 pants. Go figure.
Peace and love.
J
1 comment:
I get annoyed just reading this. i miss the days where a size 12 was the same in every store, in every brand. I hate to shop, hate trying on clothes, so I miss being able to go in somewhere and just look and buy.
Post a Comment